Monday, January 15, 2018

Underwater Bridge

We have been having computer issues so I haven't been able to post for a while!  I have so much to catch up on. 

On our way to the Christmas Winter Illumination we went on an underwater bridge!  We had no idea what we were getting into, it was so crazy.  Google maps does not warn you about things like that.  All we knew is that we were following the directions then we got to a crazy expensive toll (over $30), and because of a wrong turn we already payed $26 dollars in tolls, then we were on a bridge then suddenly it dipped down into a super long tunnel and back out again.  We got to do the whole thing in reverse the way home including tolls (minus $13 for the wrong turn we originally took).  It was an expensive drive.  But fun new experience.  I didn't even know these types of bridge/tunnels existed.


This on is called the Tokyo Bay Aqua-line.  I looked up some info on wikipedia here.  It has an overall length of 14 km, including a 4.4 km bridge and a 9.6 tunnel.  It is the fourth-longest underwater tunnel in the world.  We didn't stop but I'm pretty sure we passed a restaurant at the end of the bridge part.

It made me a little nervous when I first realized that we were driving underwater.  I just hoped the tunnel walls didn't crumble in on us.  The underwater part is almost 6 miles long, so we were in it for a while.

No comments: